The Good Oil

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Sugoi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

The Good Oil

Post by Sugoi » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:49 pm

Hi All,

I am kinda new to this whole MX-5 thing and wanting to learn a bit more about my car etc. I thought that I would start with the basics, like an oil change, but was wondering how much oil do they take? I have a 1992 1.6 Engine.

I am also keen to find out what oil you guys use? Is it worth using something like Mobil 1? My current plan was to run Castrol Magnatec, or are there other better options?

Bye for now :wink:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:31 am

Hi there...(also in ChCh)

Can I suggest you get yourself an owners handbook for your model...very useful!
You might also consider buying Keith Tanners book Miata Performance Projects (big seller world wide) which covers oil changes and lots more. Avail at Fazzaz in Lichfield St or Mazline in Disraeli St.
Cant Mazda parts dept may be able to help with handbook, or try emailing Ross at MX5 Mart in Hamilton...

Good luck, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 am

Greetings,

I actually asked a similar question over here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/about103.html

I ended up going for the Castrol Magnatec 5w-40, but Im coming up time to change it again so I'll look at going fully synthetic with Mobil 1.

Much good advice on that thread :-)
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Miatamad » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:44 am

I grabbed a mag the other day that had reviews (and test) of oils. It was really suprising.

Mobile 1 did not do that great at all (damm - I just spent $70 grabbing some).

I will dig it out this evening and post it. It made great reading (for those of us who are truly sad).

C

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Fletch » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:58 pm

1.6's take about 3.5 litres, and 1.8's take about 3.8.

Most oils come in a 4 or occasionally 5 litre bottle, so just buy one of those in the brand you prefer and keep the balance for top-ups.

Any oil that costs more than $20-$25 is probably "good enough" (ie, anything but the cheapest rubbish).... but many people have preferences for one reason or another.

Mobil 1 and Castrol's Magnatec are both well respected.

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:07 pm

Moderator: Moved to general MX5 Talk as it is not a HP topic. Please read the forum descriptions on the main forum page to determine what is on topic for the forum.

And to add useful info to the thread... there is a howto for oil changing here if you've never attempted it before:
http://mx5club.org.nz/maintenance/oil_changing/

Cheers
(z)

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

The Good Oil

Post by jif » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:13 pm

The engine takes about 4 litres, usually a bit less due to the block retaining some.  Mobil 1 is meant to be really great, I use it in preference to everything else (have tried Amsoil and Redline too).  bobistheoilguy.com has lots of good info - they like Mobil 1, Amsoil and Schaeffer's :)

Hardest thing about an oil change is getting a car jack under the car and removing the oil filter... well that and getting a round tuit ;-)

[Posted via External Email]

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 pm

And while you're doing the change, don't forget to change the filter. Most reports recommend the original Mazda item as being superior to most of the after-market replacements and it is not that expensive.

Cheers
Euen

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:24 am

I have just had a friend who has an STi recommend to me Pennzoil.

No while I realise that the difference we're going to be talking about would be absolutely minimal compared to the Magnatec Im currently running, has anybody here tried Pennzoil in an MX5 specifically who can comment?
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

poison

The Good Oil

Post by poison » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 am

Pennzoil is just a brand, just like Castrol (maker of Magnatec), and like all companies they have a range of oils. I’ve used Magnatec after recommendations from other club members, as it seemed to cure noisy lifters, I think it’s a semi-synthetic, it’s hard to tell from the wording as they try to make it sound like a full synthetic.

The only advantage of going to a full synthetic really is just for Turbo owners as the turbo gets so hot when you stop the car it does not cake and go solid on the bearings as would a normal oil. Possibly longer oil life of a synthetic, but it would be better to stick with magnatec and do regular oil changes.

My 2 cents.

Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:28 am

I am currently running on Pennzoil Semi syn... It runs fine for me even with the occassional spirited driving... (Honest officer) :twisted:
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:53 pm

I used to run Mobil 1 but changed to Pennzoil Semi Synthetic as it stays cleaner longer and I get better oil pressure. This includes using the car for track days, gymkhanas and general hooning around.
Mobil 1 is good for cold starts as it is almost like water but it never gave me the confidence it was OK for the main bearings etc. (Friends have used Mobil 1 in other race cars).

Growler.

spotz
Tentative sideways sliding....

The Good Oil

Post by spotz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:34 pm

I used to have a '90 FXGT. For several years I used the Castrol oil just below Magnatec in quality. When I switched to magnatec ( late last year ) I noticed an instantaneous reduction in engine noise. But didn't have long enough to notice any other changes.
David

m ex 5

The Good Oil

Post by m ex 5 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:09 am

just reading all the posts, it seems well worth using then, it costs all of $30 at warewhare.........
  • Finally found MINE
  • 99 Roadster RS Titanium Grey

Return to “MX5 Discussion”