Headlight Replacements - Upgrades

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Sugoi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Sugoi » Wed May 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Out There,

One of the headlights has just failed and I am trying to get some advice on the best replacement for it. It looks like a sealed beam unit. Are there better and brighter replacements that I should go for? How much is it likely to cost? If I just replace the blown one, and put a brighter one in, will I have WOF issues with two different brightnesses?

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

I posted this question to the old list and got some really good replies, and the suugestion to post my question here again, so here it is.

So far most of the replies have suggested that it is worth upgrading to the Hella lens with the H4 bulbs.

Grant
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Grant » Wed May 31, 2006 11:15 pm

I upgraded my NA to the Hella units with +50 H4 bulbs. Worth every cent of
the about $170.00 it cost me a couple of years ago. Very easy to do. They
just plug in and go. You will need to check the alignment as it is more
critical to get it just right due to the much better beam pattern compared
to the puddles of light from the original lights.

Grant.

[Posted via External Email]
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Sugoi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Upgrade Complete

Post by Sugoi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi All,

Just thought that I would give you an update on what I actually did. I decided to upgrade the drivers side light that failed with a semi-sealed beam with a replacable H4 bulb. I did not use a Hella one, I got a Wagner relector unit that cost about $35 and a Narva H4 +50% bulb that cost about $18 at Repco.

The install was easy, and the results well worth it. In only cost about $10 more than a Wagner sealed unit, which is what is in the other side, and the light output is much better. The light is whiter and brighter than the other side and the relector cut off is a much sharper pattern, so even though the light is brighter, it is probably better for on-coming traffic.

I would recommend this change if your lights fail.

Hope that helps :D

m ex 5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Re: Upgrade Complete

Post by m ex 5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:43 pm

Sugoi wrote:Hi All,

Just thought that I would give you an update on what I actually did........................Hope that helps :D
Hi Sugoi and of course everyone taking time to read my rantings.... HUGE thanks for taking time give everyone an "update" nice to see someone posting a problem and then letting everyone know the outcome! nice. As a "newbie 5 owner, its great to see solutions that work, especially when several are offered, I may not need to know this today, but it will no doubt come in handy some day!
  • Finally found MINE
  • 99 Roadster RS Titanium Grey

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”